Deep Pressure Vest For Calming
Sensory Direct's Deep Pressure Vest applies compression and deep pressure to the wearer, offering proprioceptive feedback to the body and shoulders.
Made from a neoprene body wrap with two shoulder straps, the vest can be adjusted to give a tight, reassuring "hug" to the body.
Available in three sizes :
- SMALL - bodywrap 60cm x 20cm, shoulder straps 35cm (ages 3-7 approx)
- MEDIUM - bodywrap 81cm x 25cm, shoulder straps 40cm (ages 7 -14 approx)
- LARGE - bodywrap 103cm x 28cm, shoulder straps 51cm (older children, teens and adults)
No weight is used - instead a deep pressure is applied to the body by the wrapping of the vest around the body and over the shoulders.
- Deep pressure stimulation has been found to reduce cortisol levels, leading to a decrease in anxiety and stress.
- Deep pressure can also promote the release of oxytocin, often referred to as the "cuddle hormone." By increasing oxytocin levels, deep pressure fosters a sense of safety and comfort, reducing anxiety and promoting emotional well-being.
- Deep pressure also enhances proprioception, the body's sense of its position and movement. Proprioceptive input provides a sense of security, grounding, and stability. By stimulating the proprioceptive system, deep pressure can help individuals feel more connected to their bodies, reducing feelings of dissociation often associated with anxiety.
- Challenging and sensory seeking behaviours are often reduced with the application of deep pressure.
- Can be worn discreetly under a jumper
See our full description for size guides.
See here for our weighted compression vest.
Sensory Direct's deep pressure vest for autism applies compression and deep pressure to the wearer, offering proprioceptive feedback to the body and shoulders.
No weight is used - instead a deep pressure is applied to the body by the tight wrapping of the vest around the body.
Deep Touch Pressure and Proprioception
Deep pressure stimulates the proprioceptive system through the use of deep touch pressure. Deep Touch Pressure works on the principle of applying weight or pressure to provide proprioceptive input. This input calms and modulates the central nervous system which, in turn, aids the processing of sensory information (Grandin 1992, McClure & Holtz-Yotz 1991). This calming and modulating has the effect of making the child feel more grounded, and lowers their state of arousal. This lowered state of arousal then reduces repetitive self-stimulatory behaviours (such as spinning, hand flapping, and rocking) and allows better focus, concentration, and attention.
Those with a poor proprioceptive sense (particularly those ‘sensory-seekers’) will often seek out deep pressure sensations which make them feel more secure, more relaxed, and able to focus and concentrate better.
Deep Touch Pressure and the Tactile Sense
The tactile sense is our sense of touch. It contains two different touch systems – the protective touch system which relates to light touch, and the discriminative touch system which relates to deep pressure as well as where, and what, is being touched. These senses should work in harmony allowing us to distinguish between different touch sensations. Individuals that are over-sensitive to touch will try to avoid tactile sensations wherever possible. Others may be under-sensitive and as a result they constantly seek tactile experiences. They will tend to fidget, try to touch everything, and find it very difficult to sit still. The application of deep pressure through weight or compression can benefit those sensory seekers helping them to calm down, concentrate, and focus.
Deep Touch Pressure and the Nervous System
Deep pressure stimulation activates the body's autonomic nervous system, which consists of the sympathetic and parasympathetic branches. The sympathetic branch is responsible for the body's "fight-or-flight" response, while the parasympathetic branch promotes relaxation and restoration. Applying deep pressure to the body can activate the parasympathetic nervous system, triggering a relaxation response. This stimulation helps release neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine, which play a crucial role in regulating mood and promoting a sense of calm. Cortisol, commonly known as the stress hormone, is released during times of stress and anxiety. Elevated cortisol levels can negatively impact mental health and contribute to anxiety symptoms. Deep pressure stimulation has been found to reduce cortisol levels, leading to a decrease in anxiety and stress. Deep pressure can also promote the release of oxytocin, often referred to as the "cuddle hormone." Oxytocin is associated with feelings of trust, bonding, and relaxation. By increasing oxytocin levels, deep pressure fosters a sense of safety and comfort, reducing anxiety and promoting emotional well-being.
This product is eligible for VAT relief and can be purchased free from VAT.
Who can claim for VAT relief?
- If you have a disability or a chronic medical condition you can claim VAT relief on certain eligible products provided the goods are purchased for personal or domestic use.
- If you are a parent or carer you can claim VAT relief on behalf of a child or person you look after.
- At checkout you will be asked whether you are eligible for VAT relief. If you qualify tick the "Yes" option and complete the declaration form. VAT will automatically be deducted from the relevant items in your basket.
- Charities can qualify for VAT relief where these conditions are met.
- VAT relief is not available on all products. Eligible products are marked with a green badge on the product page.
- VAT is chargeable on delivery.
Products that are in stock and ordered before 2pm, Monday to Friday, will be despatched on the same working day.
Sensory Direct's Weighted Blankets, Lap Pads, Weighted Jackets and other handmade products may take 3-4 working days to be despatched if not in stock. We will endeavour to contact customers whose orders may be affected by any despatch delays.
Please note that we close our warehouse & sales office over all UK Bank Holidays & Christmas Eve through to New Year. Despatch will not take place during this time.
You can check the status of your order at any time by logging into your customer account via our website. A Customer Account will need to be created before placing an order, to use the order tracking service. Please read our ‘How do I place an order’ FAQ for information on how to do this.
- Delivery is FREE on orders of £45 and above within Mainland UK (excluding Highlands, Offshore Islands & Northern Ireland).
- Mainland UK delivery charges are £2.95/£3.95 Royal Mail and £5.95 for courier delivery for orders under £45. (see FAQ for further courier delivery times)
- Small items are sent by Royal Mail Recorded Delivery. Larger items are sent by DPD for next day delivery. For smaller items that are in stock and ordered before the 2pm cut off time, you can now select and pay for DPD next day delivery at the checkout stage.
- Please note we cannot deliver to a PO Box address.
- We are currently unable to ship overseas unless you hold a trade account with us.
Our despatch team will arrange for all orders before 2pm to be despatched on the same day from our warehouse to our designated courier service. Please note that the estimated delivery times are provided by the courier and we do not have any control or influence over these. (see FAQ for further courier delivery times). We will do our best to deliver your order on time however delivery times are approximate, and we accept no liability in respect of late deliveries. If your order is required urgently or by a certain date, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do what we can to meet your deadline.
On receipt of your order please open all packages and thoroughly check the goods for damage as soon as possible. You must notify Sensory Direct of any damage within 3 days of the delivery. If we are not notified of damage within 3 days we are unable to claim from the carrier and we will be unable to refund or replace the damaged items. If the packaging appears damaged and you do not have time to check the goods you should sign the carriers paperwork and add the word "Damaged".
Non receipt of your order must be notified to Sensory Direct within 7 days of receipt of your order acknowledgement.
We want you to be 100% happy with your purchase, but if you find that the product is not suitable you must return the goods to us within 30 days of receipt for a refund or exchange of the same or similar. There are some exemptions to this, please see below with regards to Sensory Direct Weighted Blankets. Returns of a sales item must be within 14 days of receipt.
To receive a refund or exchange, goods must be returned unused, in their original packaging and with all original documentation. It is not possible for us to make a refund or exchange if the goods returned are not in perfect condition or it is obvious to us that the goods have been used. Refunds for goods which are returned used, in an unsaleable condition or after 30 days will be at the discretion of Sensory Direct (UK) Ltd.
Is there anything that cannot be returned?:
Yes. We have a small number of products that due to hygiene reasons are not eligible for returns if any of their packaging has been opened. These are:
- All Chewbuddy™ products & all other branded sensory chews and bangles.
- All Putty*/ Sand/ Clay/ PlayFoam (*unless the inner protective bag remains unopened)
- High Fidelity Ear Plugs and Ear Defenders (Silicone Sensory Ear Plugs are non-returnable due to the nature of their packaging)
Sensory Direct’s Weighted Blankets:
Blankets that have been opened and used will be subject to a £40 fee (+vat where applicable) which will be deducted from your refund. Refunds cannot be given for weighted blankets after 60 days from the date of receipt or where they are returned dirty, soiled or damaged. Refunds on weighted blankets are at the discretion of Sensory Direct and we reserve the right to refuse refunds.
Our Weighted Blankets and Lap Pads carry a ‘Lifetime Guarantee’. If your Weighted Blanket or Lap Pad develops a fault, please call our friendly Customer Services Team on 01905 670 500, 09:00 – 17:00, Monday to Friday and they will happily arrange a repair or replacement.
Goods purchased by trade customers and distributors may not be returned unless the goods are faulty or sent in error.
Please ensure you complete a RETURNS FORM with your Purchase Order Reference ( e.g. SO048123 - you will find this on your paperwork or through our Sales office) when sending back your goods . You will find the Returns Form with your order. Please email email@example.com if you need a replacement form or cannot find your reference number. Without a completed returns form it is likely to delay your refund.
Please contact our service team either by phone on 01905 670500 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org where we can advice you on our process.
What is the cost of returning a product?:
Unless the goods are faulty or sent in error you are responsible for the cost of returning the goods to us. We recommend you use recorded delivery and obtain insurance, as proof of posting is not proof of receipt. Where goods are not faulty or sent in error only the cost of the goods excluding postage & packing will be refunded. For further information, please contact our sales office for further advise.
Shortages & Non receipt
Shortages and breakages must be reported to Sensory Direct within 3 days of receiving your order. Non receipt of an order must be reported to Sensory Direct within 7 days of notification of despatch.
Please see full T&Cs
Postal Address: Sensory Direct (UK) Ltd, Unit 11 Great Western Business Park, McKenzie Way, Worcester. WR4 9GN
Contact Number: 01905 670500
Working hours: M-F 0900 – 17:00
When my son was born with autism, my world changed & Sensory Direct was born
Ethan had been prescribed different forms of medication, and although they helped a little, I didn’t want to become reliant upon them, so Ethan’s Paediatric Consultant suggested a Weighted Blanket. I remember hearing this and thinking ‘what on earth is a Weighted Blanket’? At this stage I was blissfully unaware of how life changing that Weighted Blanket would become.
British Born Solutions
Sensory Direct’s principle drive and values are based on wanting to help and support others find their solution.
We strongly believe in our products and ensure that the same love and care that went into making my son’s first Weighted Blanket goes into every handmade product we produce here in Worcester. We pride ourselves on our Customer Service and we will do our utmost to find you a solution that works.